Overcast MAX #2: Max Storage
Why use video?
The popularity of video consumption continues to explode and not just for marketing or brand building purposes. Video can also be used in-house for employee training and dissemination of information — this is even more valid in the current era of enforced remote working.
The possibilities that video offers your business are endless: connecting with your audience through live streaming, creating interactive videos to engage your followers, explainer videos/tutorials, product demonstrations, communicating with stakeholders, promotional videos, broadcasting live events, vlogging and much more.
Video files are large — but how big is big?
- 1 bit (b) = only capable of storing a single binary digit: either a 1 or 0.
- 1 byte (B) = 8 bits … about what you need to store a single character of text.
- 1 kilobyte (KB) = 1,024 bytes … it takes around 10 KB to store a single page of plain text.
- 1 megabyte (MB) = 1,024 KB … the equivalent of a 400-page book.
- 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1,024 MB … streaming Netflix Ultra HD video uses about 7 GB per hour.
- 1 terabyte (TB) = 1,024 GB … equivalent to 500 hours worth of movies.
- 1 petabyte (PB) = 1,024 TB … one year of CCTV video for an average police department amounts to 1.5 PB.
- 1 exabyte (EB) = 1,024 PB … 5 EB is equivalent to all the words ever spoken by humankind.
So, the more videos you create, the more storage you’ll need (although you don’t need to worry about exabytes unless you are Amazon, Google or Facebook).
In light of these unwieldy sizes of video files, the traditional method of handling them on premise is no longer viable. So, if you want to make your teams’ video management and collaboration much more efficient, you can either manage your workflows in the cloud or use a hybrid solution that conforms to your workflows.
Benefits of Max Storage
As we mentioned in an earlier blog post outlining Overcast MAX, Max Storage is like a BYOB (bring your own bottle) party. BYO Storage means you keep your unique account with AWS and our software will help you to manage your content!
Our hybrid solutions will sync with your on-premise servers: you can automatically upload your content to your account and be guaranteed secure cloud workflows.
Intelligent tiering also allows you optimise your costs based on your user actual activities, so you’ll save oodles of spondoolicks!
Artificial intelligence is the new sliced bread…although you can’t put chocolate spread on it!
Technology is changing so fast these days that it’s hard to keep up and even harder to future-proof your content. But Max Storage is on the case. We will store your originals and create proxies that can be viewed on any device.
No problem with codecs either: your content will be available over any network.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about storage, live streaming or any of the Overcast MAX solutions, please do get in touch. Philippe would be happy to chat through your video collaboration and management needs — you can reach him on email@example.com or you can click here to contact us.